|Browse Products||Locate a Distributor||Contact Us|
|Retaining FAQ||How to Apply||Bonding vs Fastening|
LOCTITE® retaining compounds secure bearings, bushings and cylindrical parts into housings or onto shafts
Retaining compounds have found wide acceptance as a standard method for assembling press- and slip-fitted parts. Retaining compounds, a type of anaerobic adhesive, fill the “inner space” between components and cure to form a strong precision assembly.
They increase maximum load transmission capability and uniform stress distribution and eliminate fretting corrosion. Applied as a liquid, they allow 100% contact between mating metal surfaces, eliminating the need for more expensive designs, time consuming machining and even the the use of mechanical methods.
|Product Lists by Feature or Application||Top Products by Feature or Application|
|Fast Cure||LOCTITE® 638™ Retaining Compound|
|High Temperature||LOCTITE® 640™ Retaining Compound|
|High Strength||LOCTITE® 648™ Retaining Compound|
|Close-Fitting Parts||LOCTITE® 603™ Retaining Compound|
|Loose-Fitting Parts||LOCTITE® 680™ Retaining Compound|
|Machinery Repair||LOCTITE® 660™ Retaining Compound|
Advantages of LOCTITE Retaining Products
- Higher strength with simplified and less costly designs
- Reduces dependence on machining tolerances
- Prevent corrosion and fretting
- Load and stress is distributed evenly over the joint
When used in combination with interference fits LOCTITE® Retaining Compounds allow:
- Higher load transmission and better performance with existing designs and geometry.
- Equal performance with relaxed tolerances.
- Reductions in the size and weight of an assembly.
Problems with conventional assembly methods that LOCTITE Retaining Products can help overcome:
- Pins, key/keyway assemblies have uneven distribution of mass, an imbalance that can lead to vibration at high speeds.
- Splines and serrations cause high stresses due to the “notch effect” that occurs in the area of a key. And have high machining costs.
- Clamp rings, press fits, shrink fits, and taper fits rely on friction alone to transmit torque, therefore they are limited by material, surfaces and design. Close tolerances are needed to obtain specific load capacities, leading to high production costs.
Automotive Aftermarket Retaining Compounds
LOCTITE Retaining Compounds designed for use on the repair and maintenance of cars, motorcycles, trucks, and marine equipment.
Retaining Compound Dispensing Equipment
Dispensing equipment for retaining compounds includes applicators, controllers, reservoirs, pumps, valves, tips and monitoring devices.