LOCTITE® HY 4090 Structural Hybrid Adhesive Frequently Asked Questions
What is the health and safety labeling of LOCTITE HY 4090?
LOCTITE HY 4090 is currently labeled according to DPD classifications rules shown below.
Xi – Irritant
R36/37/38 Irritating to eyes, respiratory system and skin.
Xn – Harmful
R22 Harmful if swallowed.
R36 Irritating to eyes.
Can LOCTITE HY 4090 be used to bond glass?
LOCTITE HY 4090 is not recommended for glass bonding.
Can LOCTITE HY 4090 be used to bond wood and paper?
LOCTITE HY 4090 can be used to bond both wood and paper.
Can LOCTITE HY 4090 be used to bond rubber?
LOCTITE HY 4090 achieves good bond strengths on EPDM and SBR Shore 75 Red rubbers.
Can LOCTITE HY 4090 be used outdoors?
LOCTITE HY 4090 can be used in outdoor applications. This adhesive shows good humidity aging results at both 104°F/98% RH and 149°F/95% RH and good UV resistance.
Can LOCTITE HY 4090 be used at higher temperatures than 150°C?
We do not recommend to use LOCTITE HY 4090 at temperatures above 150°C.
What are the storage conditions for LOCTITE HY 4090?
LOCTITE HY 4090 should be kept refrigerated in a temperature range between 2 - 8°C.
What is the shelf life of LOCTITE HY 4090?
Shelf life of LOCTITE HY 4090 is 12 months at the recommended storage conditions.
How does temperature affect the fixture time?
Is LOCTITE HY 4090 a low bloom product?
Because LOCTITE HY 4090 is a 2K product there is less chance of unreacted fillets leading to CA vapors that can cause blooming.
Can LOCTITE HY 4090 be used with a primer?
Yes, LOCTITE HY 4090 can be used with 770 Primer.
How should I dispense LOCTITE HY 4090?
LOCTITE HY 4090 can be used with the standard 2-C LOCTITE handgun (LOCTITE 96001). The pack is also compatible with LOCTITE’s automated dispense equipment.
How should LOCTITE HY 4090 be applied?
1. Set package upright to allow bubble to navigate to top of package.
2. Insert the LOCTITE HY 4090 cartridge into the dispense equipment--either LOCTITE Manual (50ml or 400ml) or Pneumatic (50ml or 400ml) Dispensing Gun.
3. Hold the dispensing handgun with the nose of the cartridge (cap end) pointing upward for a minimum of one minute.
4. Remove the cartridge cap and expel a small amount of adhesive upward into a weigh boat to eliminate the bubble and to ensure that both components are flowing evenly and freely.
5. Discard the small amount of adhesive and attach the static mixing nozzle to the end of the cartridge to begin dispensing the adhesive. (Static mixing nozzle sold separately – Item 1826921 for 50ml or 1573135 for 400ml).
6. Purge and dispose of the first 3 – 8 cm from the end of the mix nozzle, as it may not be sufficiently mixed.
7. Product is ready to use.
Are the mixing nozzles included with the product?
No, the mixing nozzles are sold separately. Order item 1826921 for 50ml or 1573135 for 400ml.
What is the nozzle life of LOCTITE HY 4090?
The nozzle life for LOCTITE HY 4090 is approximately 4-5 minutes when not in use. If you are dispensing the adhesive continuously, you do not need to replace the nozzle.
What is the appearance of the cured product?
Cured bulk samples of LOCTITE HY 4090 structural hybrid adhesive are opaque and off-white to yellow in color. In zero gap bonds on clear materials, LOCTITE HY 4090 is transparent.
What pack sizes is LOCTITE HY 4090 available in?
LOCTITE HY 4090 is available in following pack sizes:
- 50ml: Item 2123350
- 400g: Item 2060035